Monday, January 7, 2013

The Classics Club Readathon – 5 Jan 2013 - Wrap Up



The Classics Club has created a fun event to open this year: a 24-hours Readathon! On last Saturday, 56 classics clubbers (if they all could make it) from different parts of the world have read together their classics as if we were gathering in a big room, bringing our books, sitting on a big table and delving into our own choices of classics while from time to time taking a break for some snacks and little chit-chats about our progresses. It had been impossible, let’s say, ten years ago, but now with the blog and social media, it’s not impossible anymore :) Last weekend is the proof, it was our first readathon ever, and it was fun!!

Because of the time difference—I am 12 hours ahead of the standard timezone, I started reading earlier on Saturday than the others (read about it here), but then I decided to stretch the readathon into Sunday evening—o (Delaisse) has been so kind to accompany me :)

And this is my wrap up for the readathon:

Day 1 - Saturday
Start: 06:45 am (p. 121)
End  : 09:45 pm (p. 210)
Total page = 90

Day 2 – Sunday
Start: 08:45 am (p. 211)
End  : 10:15 pm (p. 307)
Total page = 97

Total pages read during readathon = 187


What book(s) did you read during the event?
The Portrait of A Lady by Henry James



What book(s) did you finish?
I haven’t finished it. Actually I did not set any goal to finish anything when I joined the readathon; my goal was to read as much as possible without any distraction. For one reason, The Portrait of A Lady is a slow-reading book; besides that, I must stop after every chapter to write down notes—and often to think about the conflicts too—since I read this book for my The Well-Educated Mind Self-Project. That made my reading progress very slow. But at the end, I’m very satisfied of my achievement; normally I would have read 187 pages in perhaps 5-6 days…

What did you like about our event?
The togetherness :) I feel like I’m a part of a big family (with the same interest! :D)

Do you have suggestions for future Readathons through The Classics Club?
It would be more fun if we stretch the readathon to 48 hours, so we could read the whole weekend!

Would you participate in future Readathons?
Definitely!

Thanks for The Classics Club for ever hosting this!

12 comments:

  1. Wow, Fanda you accomplished a lot of reading! I had a good time, too and loved the community feel of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read _Portrait of a Lady_ not to long ago and enjoyed it very much. I also am a note taker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I'm enjoying it, the story is good, but Henry James' writing sometimes quite tedious. I hope I'm going to like it at the end.

      Delete
  3. Henry James seems write about social-scop and people perspective, at least that what I read on Daisy Miller. Not enough story just several though on people.
    I'm glad to tell you I finished with Oliver Twist and going further with Great Expectations. So different than the movies adapation so far. And I enjoying the books even more, because Disckens quite funny with his humour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Oliver Twist is a good start to read Dickens, and I'm more glad that you're having fun with Great Expectations. Yes, Dickens was quite witty sometimes, it helps us a lot to go through the gloomy theme of most of his books.

      Delete
  4. Glad you enjoyed the readathon too, I liked the 'togetherness' feel and getting to know other bloggers a bit better.

    Classics can be slower reads if they are going to be read properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's like going to a place and having fun together, right? ^__-

      Delete
  5. Glad you enjoyed it. I did too but would do things a bit differently next time. I think one book is better than trying to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think reading one book for the lengthy hours is more effective than going from one to another, especially with classics that need more reflection after reading some passages.

      Delete
  6. I love the togetherness as well. It was a great event :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...and thanks for accompanying me on Sunday! ^__^

      Delete

What do you think?