“O momentary grace of mortal men,Which we more hunt for than the grace of God!Who builds his hopes in air of your good looks,Lives like a drunken sailor on a mast,Ready, with every nod, to tumble downInto the fatal bowels of the deep.”
It’s Lord Hastings’ lamentation just before he was executed by the order of Richard III. He condemns men who only hunt mortal virtues rather than God’s wisdom; for their lives would be so vulnerable, that very little obstacles or crisis would draw them down.
Do you agree?
Weekend Quote is a meme hosted by by Half-Filled Attic. Feel free to join. You can:
- Give the context of the quote
- Give your opinion whether you agree or disagree with it
- Share your experience related to the quote
- Share similar quotes you remember
- Or anything else. Just have fun with the quote.