Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Classics Spin


This is why I am proud as well as happy to be a member of The Classics Club; we are always provided fun events to read classics—which were often considered as serious readings. This time the club invited us in a challenge called The Classics Spin; the idea is to list 20 books from our The Classics Club list. Then on Monday (Feb 18th) the moderator will “spin” those twenty numbers, and pick one number. Our next task is to read one book from the list which corresponds to the picked number. Isn’t that a good idea?

This is my list…. And now let’s hope for the best!—but whichever it would be, one thing is sure, I’d be able to scrap one book from the list by April 1st … :)

Books from new Authors:
1. Inferno – Dante Aleghiery
2. Candide - Voltaire
3. Mrs. Dalloway – Virginia Woolf
4. Medea - Euripides
5. The Mill on the Floss – George Elliot
6. The Stranger – Albert Camus
7. The Trial – Franz Kafka

Books from my most favorite author (Zola):
8. The Masterpiece
9. La Bete Humaine
10. La Debacle

Randomly picked from my list:
11. Richard III – William Shakespeare
12. The Three Musketeers – Alexandre Dumas
13. A Farewell To Arms – Ernest Hemingway
14. Just So StoriesRudyard Kippling
15. The Jungle Book – Rudyard Kippling
16. Kidnapped – Robert Louis Stevenson
17. Cinta Sejati (translated short stories collection) – Guy de Maupassant
18. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn – Betty Smith
19. Greyfriars Bobby – Eleanor Atkinson
20. Notes from Underground – Fyodor Dostoyevsky

11 comments:

  1. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is wonderful, I put it on the reading list for my library's book group in April, so I'll be rereading it soon!

    And I also have some Zola on my list, The Earth and The Masterpiece. I thought La Bete Humaine was brilliant, one of my favorites by Zola so far. Candide is also wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to start reading Zola! I'm planning to do The Masterpiece on April, I hope we can read it together... :)

      Delete
  2. I am also going to do this, but I said that with Let's Read Plays and I've done a bang up job with that so far...not! I'm definitely going to put in the effort. Such a cool idea!

    You have some great titles listed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These challenges are meant to encourage us to read more, as long as it doesn't distress you! I believe you will somehow find your pace back, Michelle!

      Delete
  3. I'm hoping to read Mrs Dalloway during the Modern March event (even though I don't even have a copy yet).

    I like it that you like Zola, he is wonderful. Reading "Germinal" myself right now and hoping to read a whole lot more of him in future.

    Good luck with the draw :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just started reading Germinal too, but it's on my epad and I'm not enjoying the screen time as much as i still love a book. I'm enjoying it, but only get to it every so often. Will have to search out you other Zola reviews :-)

      Delete
    2. @Riv: I'm going to read Mrs. Dalloway too for Modern March, we can read together :) I'll be reading ebook, donwload it from feedbooks dot com.

      Oh yes, Zola is great! I have read Therese Raquin and L'Assommoir besides Germinal, but my most fave is Germinal. I would host a Zola event on April, by the way, you might be interested in reading more of him for the event.. :)

      @Brona: I hope you'll love Germinal and become Zola's fan too.. :)

      Delete
  4. I do love this idea. I think I'll have to figure out a list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, it just adds the fun to our routine readings...

      Delete
  5. Unexpected but I loved Mrs Dalloway when I read it last year. And The Mill on the Floss - lovely.
    I'm really looking forward to Germinal and keeping my fingers crossed it will 'win the spin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the draw then.. ;)
      Actually I'm not too excited with Mrs. Dalloway, I just think I should try it. But I'm really looking forward to The Mill on The Floss!

      Delete

What do you think?