Monday, February 11, 2013

When Love Is Gone… (A Quote From Little Dorrit)


While this quote I picked from Dickens’ Little Dorrit might not have any greater values, it was such a beautifully written piece that I can’t just leave unquoted. This narration followed a poor gentleman in this story, who had been unlucky in his love adventure.

Here’s the previous narration…. ‘When he had walked on the river’s brink in the peaceful moonlight for some half an hour, he put his hand in his breast, and tenderly took out the handful of roses (a farewell present from the girl he has been in love with). Perhaps he put them to his hearts, perhaps he put them to his lips, but certainly he bent down on the shore, and gently launched them on the flowing river…’

And this is the beautiful-touching quote I picked for my Weekend Quote this week, and which inspired me to find a beautiful image that suits it:



“While the flowers, pale and unreal in the moonlight, floated away from the river; and thus do greater things that once were in our breasts, and near our hearts, flow from us to the eternal seas.”

Well I think it’s not just about lovers, everytime we lost something dear to our hearts (it could be a friendship, a big opportunity, or anything we value the most in life), the above metaphor of the roses flowed from us to the eternal seas could describe perfectly our feelings, don’t you think so?



This can be regarded as my 16th Weekend Quote, a meme hosted by by Half-FilledAttic. Feel free to join. You can:
  • Give the context of the quote
  • Give your opinion whether you agree or disagree with it
  • Share your experience related to the quote
  • Share similar quotes you remember
  • Or anything else. Just have fun with the quote.


4 comments:

  1. That's such a beautiful part from Little Dorrit! There's a similar scene in the 2008 TV movie, where Amy throws a button into the river - pretty heartbreaking scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, it's beautiful! I have the BBC version with me right now which I'm going to watch as soon as I finished reading.

      Delete
  2. That is beautiful! And I agree , it describes perfectly our feeling, cares or anything that has burdened our hearts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! That's one thing of others that I like from Dickens, he most always close each chapter with something beautiful.

      Delete

What do you think?