Sunday, December 26, 2021

Back to the Classics Challenge 2021 - WRAP UP



This year is proved to be one of the hardest I had lived through! Covid-19 pandemic is one of the causes (July 2021 was the worst time for us in Indonesia), and then my father was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, after his fall. Since then my life has been completely changed, and I needed some months to be finally able to accept things as they were, and moved on with my new life. Through these hard times, my readings have been my biggest consolation.

And that's why I am so proud, that despite all that has happened, I COMPLETED this challenge!! 

Books I have read for ALL twelve categories:

1. A 19th century classic: any book first published from 1800 to 1899 – The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy

2. A 20th century classic: any book first published from 1900 to 1971. All books must have been published at least 50 years ago; the only exceptions are books which were written by 1971 and posthumously published. – My Antonia by Willa Cather

3. A classic by a woman author. – Lady Audley’s Secret by Mary Elisabeth Braddon

4. A classic in translation, meaning any book first published in a language that is not your primary language. You may read it in translation or in its original language, if you prefer.  – The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo

5. A classic by BIPOC author; that is, a non-white author. – Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

6. A classic by a new-to-you author, i.e., an author whose work you have never read. – Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin

7. New-to-you classic by a favorite author -- a new book by an author whose works you have already read.  – Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens

8. A classic about an animal, or with an animal in the title. The animal can be real or metaphorical. (i.e., To Kill a Mockingbird). – Watership Down by Richard Adams

9. A children's classic. – The Nutcracker by E.T.A. Hoffmann

10. A humorous or satirical classic. – The Inimitable Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse 

11. A travel or adventure classic (fiction or non-fiction). It can be a travelogue or a classic in which the main character travels or has an adventure. – Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris by Paul Gallico

12. A classic play. Plays will only count in this category. – Mrs. Windermere's Fan by Oscar Wilde



I must thank Karen for hosting yet another year of this challenge, and hope for the best for the next year!


My contact: vixxiomail at gmail dot com

11 comments:

  1. You hav3 done remarkably well to complete this in the circumstances. A classic about an animal would be a difficult one for me unless I reread a favourite from childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks <3
      Agree on classic about animal, it can be tricky. Fortunately there're quite many great classics with animal that we will always be happy to reread, right? ;)

      Delete
  2. Well done, Fanda! So many great books there. Any favorites?

    Sorry to hear about your father... Your family will be in my prayers. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marian!
      My favorite (and it's this year's favorite too) is Watership Down. Have you read it?
      And thanks for your prayers and attention.

      Delete
  3. What an incredibly tough year this has been for you. Kudos to you for finishing the challenge despite the challenges you dealt with this year.

    Such a wonderful set of books you read this year--I am taking notes for my classics list for next year!

    May 2022 be a better year for you and your family.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane <3
      I guess when reading is your only consolation, you can focus more on it than when life offers many other good distractions.

      Delete
  4. Nice job! I have Things Fall Apart on my someday read list. (And Hunchback.) I read your review of Things and it seems like it may have some social challenges, which make it interesting for me, even if I may disagree. But I liked that you listed some of the book's themes. I think I may have some success with that one. I don't know why I am avoiding Hunchback. Maybe bc I know the plot already and I'm afraid my love of the film may ruin it for me. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with Things Fall Apart, then! It's a beautifully written book. It's just that the protagonist's views really annoys me. And it's really hard to like a book when you hate the values it represents.

      Agree with Hunchback. Reading it will ruin your love of the film!

      Delete
    2. Oh, no!!! I just saw that Hunchback was your least favorite book of 2021, too. I suppose I can give it a try, but I will know immediately if I can't go on. I have no problem bailing.

      Delete
  5. Hopping over from the Back to Classics link-up for wrap-up posts. You chose a great variety of books. I had a hard time with Things Fall Apart. I liked parts of Hunchback and other parts were very slow or were a bit disturbing, so I much prefer the Disney version, LOL!I have never heard of that Hardy novel. I read Under the Greenwood Tree this year for this challenge and wasn't very impressed, especially since I enjoyed Far from the Madding Crowd.

    Here is my list, if interested! https://elle-alice.blogspot.com/2021/12/back-to-classics-wrap-up-post.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elena, Sorry for not replying earlier, I've been super busy this month.
      I'm sorry you didn't quite enjoy Hardy's Under the Greenwood Three - it's next on my Hardy list - is it that bad? But Hardy's can be depressing sometimes; Far from the Madding Crowd is indeed one of his most cheerful works. :)

      Delete

What do you think?