Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Top Ten Books I Had VERY Strong Emotions About: Top Ten Tuesday Rewind (5)


I’m glad that we can pick any past topic we want for this week’s top ten Tuesday (it’s Top Ten Tuesday Rewind, woohoo!). This time I’d pick a topic I haven’t write, since I hadn’t joined this meme at that time, it’s about books I had strong emotions about. Here’s the top ten emotional classics book I’ve ever read (in random order):

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Until now, To Kill A Mockingbird is still my favorite book of all time. I have read it twice, and twice it stirred my emotion.

Quo Vadis? by Henryk Sienkiewicz
The part which left a great effect to me is the scene of Paul asking Jesus when he (Paul) run away from Christians’ slaughter by Nero: “Quo vadis, domine?”, and Jesus answered: “Because now you leave my people, I would go to Rome, to be crucified for the second time” (or something like that, as I read the translation copy).

I’m touched by how Anne always kept her hopes in life, even though life had not been friendly to her.

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
It’s the only Dickens’ book that shed my tears (until now, because I haven’t read all of his books). It’s the true love showed by Sydney Carton that caused it…

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
I know, Monte Cristo does not suppose to be an emotional novel, however I found my self quite engaged by the last chapter, especially when Dantes met Mercédès for the last time.

L’Assommoir by Emile Zola
Reading Zola means you must be prepared, for Zola is a true naturalist. He writes the worst of life, and it’s often striking and even shocking. L’Assommoir did shocked me with the dying scene.

Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
This perhaps is the most touching children book I’ve ever read.

Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
The melodramatic ending of Uncle Tom has successfully shed my tears..

The Color Purple by Alice Walker
I think its epistolary style gives a more emotional touch to Celie’s fight as a woman and an African-American.

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Marcia Marquez
When it said emotions, it doesn’t have to be something touching, right? Anger or disgust is emotion too. And I put this book in the bottom of the list because I HATE the male protagonist: Florentino Ariza!

What about you? What books do you think have the strong emotion? You can share your top ten Tuesday here.

And if you love memes, please check out my weekly meme : Character Thursday


14 comments:

  1. I just got To Kill a Mockingbird from my library (yes, I still haven't read it!) I haven't picked it up yet, because I don't know if I'll like it. The fact that you've read it twice has convinced me to read it immediately though, so thanks :)

    http://peskypiksipesternomi.blogspot.in/2012/06/top-ten-tuesday-rewind-dynamic-duos.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, The Color Purple. I think it was the first book that made me fall in love with literature, and my copy has been re-read so many times that it's falling apart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No wonder you re-read it so many times, The Color Purple is a unique book, unforgettable one..

      Delete
  3. I love the Diary of Anne Frank. It was the one book that I actually enjoyed reading in school.
    Book Sniffers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne's personal character is very strong and she had a wide view, especially for a girl in her age. There are a lot of things we (even as an adult) can learn from her.

      Delete
  4. I had strong reactions to Mockingbird & Anne Frank also. They are written in a way that it's nearly impossible NOT to feel strongly about them, both for the content and for the rare gems the books are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thought! That's what make Mockingbird one of the best books of all time. At least I put it in the top list of my best readings.

      Delete
  5. Intriguing list! I had an intense emotional reaction reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall: at one point I had to stop reading to dry my eyes, because I couldn't see the page anymore! I was so immersed in the novel, I felt like I was feeling what the characters were feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any Anne Bronte, but from your emotional experience with it, I might add The Tenant into my list...

      Delete
  6. What an interesting list - I'd definitely agree with you on Anne Frank. I found it an almost physically painful read, especially as I knew how it would end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first I thought it will be completely painful read, but I'm glad that Anne is a positive-minded girl who can see hopes during her hard time. We can also learn something from the book, besides holocaust story.

      Delete
  7. I'm a crier too! I also cried at Charlotte's Web & A Tale of Two Cities. I can't wait to see if these other titles elcit strong emoion. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try Quo Vadis, you will cry too! :)

      Delete

What do you think?